Built by the US Army near the end of the World War II, the Pacific Yellowfin was originally christened as JMP64 in 1943 when she slid down the ways at Billings Shipyard in Deer Isle, Maine. As a Junior Mine Planter, she was to be used in protecting harbours off of the East Coast of the USA.
As a freight/passenger (FP) design, the ship was versatile and could carry considerable tonnage. Many boats of the Pacific Yellowfin’s type played an integral role in defending the Aleutian Islands off Alaska.
After decommissioning the Aleutians, she was sold at auction to California Fish and Game. She was refitted as a government research vessel and went to sea studying sardines and tuna. the was renamed the Yellowfin. Her sister ship who was purchased at the same time was named the Brown Bear. Research methods during those years were quite basic, a stick of dynamite was thrown into a school of fish and those that floated to the top were collected for the laboratory. This method ended when, on a stormy night the stick of dynamite failed to reach the water, many of the crew were injured. The Yellowfin went back to auction.
Following her research work, the Yellowfin was sold in 1957 to Clint Pelletier, who's family owned the vessel for over 20 years.
It wasn’t until the 1980s that she was brought back into active service, after being bought by the Tacoma Tow Boat Company to carry out research for the US Navy. After several years of this, she was purchased by millionaire oilman Pete Whittier who started the process of bringing her back into top-notch shape.
Whittier eventually sold the Yellowfin to Colin Griffinson after years of discussions. Ironically, Whittier was looking for a smaller vessel while Griffinson, the owner of a refurbished 22m salmon seiner, was looking for a larger one. The two men happily traded boats, each getting what he needed out of the deal.
Several years after acquiring the Yellowfin, then renamed the Pacific Yellowfin, Griffinson undertook an ambitious refitting that included upgraded wiring, a custom-designed interior by Robert Ledingham and safety upgrades to convert her to a Transport Canada certified passenger vessel.
Ongoing upgrades continue on an annual basis, including recorking and fastening of the hull, new bulworks and major repairs to the hull.
The result is what you see today. A vessel like the Pacific Yellowfin doesn’t survive for 60 years without a reliable power source. Chief Engineer Jack Dixon makes the twin 325-hp Atlas Imperial engines hum along with their distinctive “pocketa-pocketa” sound at practically the same pace as when they were new, producing a stately 10 knots for the ship. The immaculate engine room and the carefully restored engines are testament to the depth of knowledge and love of tradition that Jack and Captain Colin Griffinson share about the boat.
The two men are always willing to share their stories of restoring the ship and their knowledge of the mechanical systems on board, helping guests gain a good sense of how things worked back in the 1940s. All applicable safety and certification standards have been exceeded in the painstaking and thoughtful restoration of this coastal yacht.
All crew members are fully trained in first aid and emergency procedures and the Pacific Yellowfin is certified by Transport Canada as an approved passenger-carrying vessel, complying with all Coast Guard safety regulations. She is inspected annually by same. Today our Luxury Yacht is a place for your family and friends to reconnect in the most relaxing way possible.